Living North is the North’s foremost independent magazine publisher and event management company. Covering all aspects of lifestyle including food and drink, fashion, health and beauty, interiors and what’s on, Living North produces the leading lifestyle magazines for the North East and Yorkshire, as well as niche supplements distributed alongside the main magazine every month. Living North is also actively represented on all forms of social media and runs successful events alongside its publishing arm. It is the respected choice across the North of England and we are always looking for great people to join our team.
Are you a talented writer interested in lifestyle publications? Living North are currently expanding their successful in-house editorial team and are seeking enthusiastic and gifted writers to join them in producing the north of England's most popular and respected magazine.
If you are looking to kick-start your career in publishing/writing, this role could be perfect for you. We need enthusiastic graduates with a strong interest in lifestyle publishing and with plenty of initiative to contribute across all platforms and genres. Working alongside our team of editorial, sales and design staff, the successful candidate will have responsibilities in all areas of the editorial process. Researching, writing and proofing features, picture selection and assisting our design team in preparing and checking pages for print. The successful candidate will have:
– enthusiasm, creativity, initiative and good organisational skills
– excellent written and verbal skills
– a meticulous eye for detail
– the ability to manage their own workload while contributing to a team
– the ability to work to tight deadlines and maintain the high quality of our print and digital publications
– strong IT skills. Use of Mac packages desirable but not essential
– experience of working/internship within a publishing environment desirable but not essential
– must be educated to degree level. NCTJ qualifications an advantage but not essential.
To apply, please send a letter of introduction and CV addressed to Kate Foley at email@example.com
Living North are on the lookout for an Advertising Sales Executive to sell advertising across Living North Magazines and digital media. The successful candidate must:
– be confident and outgoing
– have the ability to speak and write professionally
– have good knowledge of the North East and/or Yorkshire
– be computer literate
– be target driven with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment
It would be advantageous to have:
– degree level education
– sales experience
To apply, please a CV and letter of introduction to firstname.lastname@example.org
We currently have no positions for this role. To register your interest please send a letter of introduction and CV to email@example.com and we will hold your details on file for future reference.
Are you a talented designer looking for new opportunities? Would you like to be part of the most successful and respected lifestyle magazine in the North of England?
Key Responsibilities include:
- Working within the guidelines of house styles to design and produce pages of printed magazines. Pages can be editorial led, product based or a mixture of both.
- To provide a design service to clients who wish to advertise in the magazines, this can include working with established brands and guidelines but can also require creative input to help small businesses stand out within the pages.
- To provide a design service to produce contract publishing jobs. Often these are produced within the pages of Living North but can also be stand alone titles. This will involve working with a third party and often includes working to established brand guidelines but can also require the design and style to be led directly from the designer.
- By following a procedure you will be responsible for producing print ready artwork and sending it to the printers correctly using an online portal system and then signing off pages making sure they are assigned and placed correctly.
- To systematically back up all files after each magazine for archiving and future reference.
- Working to monthly deadlines you will be responsible for managing your own workload efficiently ensuring all deadlines are met. Generally there are two deadlines each month with each deadline including up to three titles so it is important to be organised.
- Outside of deadline, to constantly push the design and look of all titles ensuring Living North does not sit still and is constantly refreshed and feels current.
- You must be Mac proficient and have good experience using InDesign and Photoshop. Experience of Illustrator is an advantage but not essential.
FAIRS & EVENTS
To provide a design service to an In House team to produce all printed material needed to promote and support all fairs and events. This can include branding, programmes, leaflets, tickets, signage, banners, posters, large format display artwork amongst other things.
To be part of a design team to provide an In House design service for anything required to promote the business, ranging from stationery to advertisements.