1. He was a junior boxing champion. You can see where he gets that action hero presence from – he really could deck any guy that has the temerity to kidnap his daughter. When Liam was growing up in Northern Ireland, he took up boxing, and continued it until he was about 17, winning Irish junior championships along the way. He stopped boxing after a concussion scare, but we’re sure he hasn’t forgotten how to pack a punch.
2. He once played in a professional football match. While his time on the football pitch may not have been as glittering as in the boxing ring – or indeed in front of the cameras – it’s still a hell of a lot better than most of our footballing achievements. Liam’s talent was spotted when he was a student, and he impressed enough to get a run out for Bohemians against Shamrock Rovers. He evidently thought it was unfair to succeed in too many dream jobs, and so decided against a career as a professional footballer.
3. He packed in university to work at Guinness. This is probably one of the most Irish things that has ever happened. Liam was a student at Queen’s University Belfast, working hard and studying physics and computer science, when he suddenly decided that the world of academia wasn’t for him, and did the only logical thing. He decided to call it a day at uni, and made his pilgrimage to the Guinness Brewery to work as a fork-lift truck driver. Don’t try this at home, kids.
4. He dated Helen Mirren. Ah, Helen Mirren. A perfect combination of intelligence, character and stunning good looks, she’s a woman most men could only dream of asking out for a drink, but not for Liam. He and Helen shared a flat in London for four years in the 80s, before Liam decided he needed to move to Hollywood to further his career. Now that’s a man who’s dedicated to his art.
5. He punched a student who had pulled a knife on him. Before his acting career took off, Liam tried working as a teacher. While it might not have worked out for him, he may well have stopped something much worse from happening. While attempting to calm down his class before a lesson, Liam spotted a student who was really acting up, and asked him to take some time out of the classroom. The student then pulled out a knife, and Liam knocked his lights out. While perhaps the wiser move would have been to have a chat to the kid, putting his boxing skills to work when his life depended on it proves that Liam is not a guy you want to mess with.