Living North Promotion
On a cold Christmas night in bohemian Paris, Mimì knocks on Rodolfo’s door in search of a candlelight and a love is sparked that changes their lives forever. But can their love survive the harsh winter?
Puccini’s tale of love and loss is one of the world’s most popular operas. Here’s why we think you’ll love it:
- It’s fast paced and has beautiful music, characters you can identify with, comedy and heartbreak – a bit of everything.
- Puccini (the man behind ‘Nessun dorma’) was the master of emotions – he chose subjects that he felt were true to everyday life. If you love experiencing drama in its rawest form, this is for you.
- It’s a visual treat, transplanting the original 1830s setting for 1960s Paris, all brought to life with extravagant costumes and set design.
- Hit musical Rent was inspired by La bohème, as was Moulin Rouge!
- Opera is much cheaper than you might think. Tickets start from just £18.50 with £10 tickets for Under 30s / full-time students.
La bohème will be performed at Newcastle Theatre Royal on 29th and 31st October and 1st November. Book tickets here.
Also from Opera North…
Giulio Cesare (Caesar & Cleopatra in Egypt), 30th October
Journey to the treacherous, gold-encrusted court of Cleopatra, queen of Egypt, for one of opera's greatest historical epics. This blockbuster production of Handel's much-loved opus is a feast of vengeance, seduction and desire. Book tickets here.
The Greek Passion, 2nd November
A remote Greek community is riven by the arrival of desperate refugees, but the outsider Manolios resolves to do the right thing, whatever the cost. Prepare yourself for epic orchestral soundscapes and moments of visually-arresting theatre. Not to be missed. Book tickets here.
For more information, visit www.theatreroyal.co.uk