Piping hot, crisp and ready to dip, aubergine tempura makes an ideal lunch
- 200ml (7fl oz) sunflower oil,
- for deep-frying
- 100g (31⁄2oz) plain
- (all-purpose) flour
- 50g (2oz) cornflour
- 1⁄2 tsp baking powder
- 200ml (7fl oz) ice-cold
- sparkling water
- 2 medium aubergines
- (eggplants), thinly sliced,
- large slices halved
1. Pour the oil into a large pan and place over a medium heat to heat up while you prepare the batter.
2. In a wide bowl, combine the flour, cornflour and baking powder. Stir in the sparkling water and use a balloon whisk to gently beat until smooth.
3. Check if the oil is hot enough by dropping in a blob of batter – if it sizzles immediately, the oil is ready.
4. Dip the aubergine slices into the batter and shake off any excess. Using a slotted spoon, add a few slices of aubergine to the very hot oil. Do not add too many slices at a time, as they will mass together. Deep-fry for minutes until the batter has become crisp and puffed.
5. Carefully remove from the hot oil and drain on paper towels while you cook the remaining aubergine slices.
6. Serve hot with your choice of dipping sauce.
7. Soy sauce makes a deliciously simple dip, or serve with satay sauce.
Five Ingredient Vegan by Katy Beskow (Quadrille £20) Photography ©Luke Albert