Authentic Massaman Thai Curry
A popular but classic recipe from the southern region of Thailand, this curry is simple to make but guaranteed to impress
It's the perfect dish for Thai New Year celebrations.
- 2 Chicken breasts
- 600ml Coconut Milk
- 2 tbsp Roasted Peanuts
- 5 Small Onions; sliced
- 4 Medium Potatoes; cubed
- 3 tbsp Massaman Curry Paste
- 2 tbsp Fish Sauce
- 3 tbsp Palm Sugar
- 3 tbsp Tamarind Juice
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 1 piece Roasted Cinnamon; 1cm long
- 5 Roasted Cardamom Pods
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- Cut the chicken into chunks, around 2 inches in length.
- In a wok, heat the vegetable oil, curry paste and 200ml of coconut milk. Keep stirring over a low heat until fragrant.
- Add the chicken to the wok, turning frequently so all the meat is covered in sauce.
- Pour in the remaining 400ml of coconut milk and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Add the cubed potatoes, roasted peanuts, onions, fish sauce, palm sugar, tamarind juice, bay leaves, cardamom and cinnamon. Keep over a low heat to simmer until all the ingredients are tender.
- Remove from the heat and serve with steamed white rice.
Recipe by Sanguan Parr, Head Chef at Nipa Thai