Extracted from Eat Well for Less: Happy & Healthy by Jo Scarratt-Jones (BBC Books, £14.99). Photography by Andrew Burton.
Frozen Fruit Crumble
A quick store cupboard crumble, which works with whatever frozen fruit you have to hand – blueberries, blackberries, mixed berries, tropical fruit or classic rhubarb
- 320g frozen pineapple
- 320g frozen mango chunks
- 320g frozen pitted cherries
- finely grated zest and juice of 2 limes
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 tbsp low fat spread
- 250g porridge oats
- 75g flaked almonds
- 50g mixed seeds
- Preheat the oven to 190C/170C fan/Gas 5.
- Tip the frozen fruit into a medium ovenproof dish. Add the lime zest and juice and four tablespoons water. Toss until coated then spread out into an even layer.
- Pour the maple syrup into a bowl, add the low fat spread and mix until smooth. Add the oats, flaked almonds and seeds and stir until coated in the mixture.
- Spoon over the fruit in and bake in the oven for 45 minutes until golden brown and piping hot.
- Serve hot, warm or cool.
Allow to cool to room temperature then divide into portions and place in sealable containers. It will keep in the fridge for three days and up to one month in the freezer. To reheat, defrost overnight in the fridge. Alternatively, loosen the lid and place in the microwave on defrost for five minutes. Then heat on high for one to two minutes until piping hot.