Luscious Lemon Curd Meringue Cupcakes
These luscious lemon cakes are perfectly sweet for a Jubilee celebration
- 125g salted butter
- 155g caster sugar
- 2 tsp lemon zest jar Cottage Delight Lush Lemony Curd
- 2 eggs
- 150g self-raising flour
- 150g plain flour
- 125ml milk
- For the meringue
- 4 egg whites
- 215g caster sugar
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4 then line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper cases.
2. Use electric beaters to beat the butter, sugar and lemon zest in a bowl until pale and creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the flours and milk until combined. Divide mixture into paper cases. Bake for 20 minutes.
3. Once cooked, cut a deep hole from the centre of each cupcake and spoon one tablespoon of lemon curd into the hole.
4. For the meringues, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form. Continue whisking and gradually add sugar one tablespoon at a time. Continue whisking until all sugar dissolves.
5. Use a piping bag to pipe meringue mixture over each cupcake. Use a cook’s blowtorch to lightly toast meringues or bake again for 3–5 minutes until toasted.