Martha Collison's Classic Victoria sponge
- 225g essential Waitrose Butter, at room temperature, plus extra for greasing
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 essential Waitrose Free Range Eggs, at room temperature
- 225g essential Waitrose Self-Raising Flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 200ml double cream
- 4 tbsp essential Waitrose Seedless Raspberry Jam
1. About an hour before you are ready to bake, get the butter out of the fridge and allow it to come to room temperature so it is soft enough to cream. Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Grease and line 2 x 20cm round sandwich tins with baking parchment.
2. Place the softened butter and sugar into a large mixing bowl and use a handheld electric whisk to cream the mixture together until light and fluffy. The colour should change from yellow to white. This takes around 5-10 minutes.
3. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each, until combined. Use a spatula to fold in the flour and baking powder, stopping mixing as soon as the mixture is smooth.
4. Divide the mixture between 2 prepared tins and level the top with a spatula. Bake in the middle of the oven for 25-30 minutes until the sponge is golden on top and well risen. A skewer inserted into the centre should come out clean. Let the sponges cool for 10 minutes in the tins, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
5. Whip the cream into soft peaks and spread or pipe onto the bottom layer of sponge. Pipe the jam over the top of the cream, or spread over the top layer, sandwich together and serve immediately.
Recipe and image courtesy of Martha Collison for Waitrose – @marthacollison