Potato and asparagus spears with homemade pesto salad
I think of this salad as a real ‘throw-it-together’ recipe. Fresh pesto is not at all difficult to make, and will keep for several weeks if stored in the fridge.
- Olive oil, for frying
- 125g asparagus tips
- 500g baby new potatoes, cooked and cooled
- 50g rocket leaves
- 190g jar sunblush tomatoes, drained
- Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- For the pesto:
- 100g pine nuts
- 200ml extra virgin olive oil
- 75g Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 large bunch of basil leaves
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- First make the pesto. Dry-fry the pine nuts until golden, then transfer to a blender or food processor. Add the remaining ingredients, apart from the seasoning, and blitz to a smooth purée. Season to taste, then place in a screwtop jar, top with a spoonful of oil to seal, and store in the fridge.
- Heat a little oil in a griddle pan and chargrill the asparagus for a few minutes until tender and slightly blackened.
- Put the remaining salad ingredients into a serving bowl, add the asparagus and two tablespoons pesto and mix well. Season, sprinkle with some Parmesan and serve immediately.
©Alex Hollywood. Recipes taken from My Busy Kitchen by Alex Hollywood (Hodder & Stoughton £25)