Sausage Rolls with Fennel and Apple Marmalade
- For the sausage rolls:
- 250g packet of puff pastry
- 500g Cumberland sausages
- 1 large egg, lightly whisked
- 1 tsp fennel seeds (optional)
- For the chutney:
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped finely
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- Olive oil for drizzling
- 1 apple, peeled and chopped
- 100ml white wine vinegar
- 350g preserving sugar
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- salt and pepper
1. To make the chutney put the fennel and onion in a heavy pan. Add a drizzle of olive oil and cook until soft, then add the roughly chopped apple and cook for a few more minutes.
2. Add the white wine vinegar, sugar and fennel seeds. Continue to cook for a further 20 minutes until the liquid has reduced by half. Season with salt and pepper and leave to cool.
3. For the sausage rolls, cut the block of puff pastry in half. Roll each half into a long rectangle, about 40cm x 10cm and about half a centimetre thick. Spread a tablespoon of fennel chutney down the middle of each rectangle. Store the rest of the chutney in clean sterilised jars – it will keep for around four weeks in the fridge.
4. Cut the sausage meat out of the skins and lay it on top of the chutney. Pull the pastry over the sausage meat and press the edges together.
5. Cut each long sausage roll into approximately 10 portions. Place the rolls on a non-stick baking tray and wash them with the beaten egg. Sprinkle with fennel seeds if using and bake in a pre-heated oven at 200C / 400F or gas mark six for 15 minutes until golden brown.