Steamed Chinese Sesame Chicken with Supergreen Salad
Reading time 10
This is a pure and tasty dish that is low in fat
Chicken is lovely and succulent when steamed, and extremely healthy, too.Chicken provides lean, low-fat protein, which is ideal for muscle growth and regeneration. The salad is fresh and zingy with both the kale and pak choy being low in fat and excellent sources of vitamins A, C and K, which neutralise free radicals and help to build strong bones. Red cabbage adds a nice crunch and has ten times more vitamin A (good for eyesight, skin and immune function) than green cabbage.
- 1 free-range or organic skinless chicken breast, sliced into 1cm strips
- 1⁄2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1⁄4 tbsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 spring onion, topped and tailed, white and green parts separated and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 tsp of black and white toasted sesame seeds to garnish
- For the salad
- 100g kale, washed and shredded
- 50g pak choy, washed and shredded
- 1⁄2 medium carrot, peeled and cut into julienne strips
- 50g red cabbage, washed and shredded
- 1⁄2 orange, peeled and segmented
- For the dressing
- 1 tsp freshly grated peeled root ginger
- Juice of 1⁄2 lemon
- 1⁄2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp low-sodium light soy sauce
- 1 pinch of cracked black pepper
- Place the chicken strips, sesame oil, five-spice powder and whites of the spring onion in a bowl and mix. Place on a heatproof plate that fits inside a bamboo steamer and steam for 10 minutes until cooked through.While the chicken is steaming, steam the kale for 30 seconds, then rinse under cold running water for 30 seconds. Drain and dry. Add to the rest of the salad ingredients, toss together and chill in the fridge.
- Just before serving, whisk all the dressing ingredients together with the green parts of the spring onion and pour over the salad ingredients (reserving a teaspoon for the chicken).
- Remove the chicken from the steamer, transfer to a serving plate and pour the reserved dressing over. Garnish with the sesame seeds and eat with the salad.