Sticky BBQ Pork Ribs with Habanero Hot Ketchup and Slaw
A new generation of pit masters can take their love of cooking over coals to a new level with these pork spare ribs
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 5 tbsp Tracklements Habanero Hot Ketchup
- 2 tbsp dark muscovado sugar
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 8 large uncooked pork spare ribs (approx. 1.2kg)
- salt and pepper to season
- For the slaw
- ¼ white cabbage, finely sliced
- ¼ red cabbage, finely sliced
- 2 carrots, finely sliced
- ½ red onion, finely sliced
- For the dressing
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp Tracklements Smooth Dijon Mustard
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Put all the ingredients, except the spare ribs, into a bowl, mix everything together and season to taste. Pour into a big plastic food bag, add the pork ribs and massage! If possible, marinate over night.
On the day – get the barbie started early – place the ribs bone-side down, on the cooler part of the grill (indirect heat). Cover and cook, rotating the ribs once, and basting with the leftover sauce, until the meat is tender and pulls away from the bones, about two hours.
You can also cook the ribs in the oven in a heavy-based roasting dish at 180C/350F/ gas mark 4, turning every 20 mins for about an hour and a half. In a large bowl, mix the ingredients for the dressing together then stir in the slaw veg.