Tomato Brunch with Poached Egg and Parsley
- 20g butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2tsp paprika, plus extra for sprinkling
- 6 British large vine tomatoes, thickly sliced
- 2 eggs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices of sourdough or rustic-style bread
- Chopped fresh thyme or parsley, to garnish
Heat half the butter with the olive oil in a frying pan. Gently fry the onion for five to six minutes, until very soft.
Add the paprika and tomatoes to the frying pan and continue to cook gently for three to four minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Meanwhile, poach the eggs in simmering water for three to four minutes, or until done to your liking.
Toast the bread and spread with the remaining butter. Top with the tomato and onion mixture, then the poached eggs. Serve, sprinkled with thyme or parsley and a pinch of paprika.
Cook’s tip: Transform this into a light supper dish by serving on a bed of rice, quinoa or couscous instead of toast.