Bean and Pumpkin Chilli
This is the perfect warming supper on a cold evening
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and diced
- 675g pumpkin, peeled, deseeded and cubed
- 2–3 tsp chilli powder or 2 tbsp chipotle paste
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 x 400g cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 600ml vegetable stock
- a handful of coriander, chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- boiled or steamed rice, to serve
- lime wedges, to serve
- For the toppings:
- chopped avocado
- diced spring onions
- sour cream
- grated Cheddar cheese
- guacamole or tomato salsa
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan set over a low to medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, peppers and pumpkin and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10–12 minutes, or until tender.
- Stir in the chilli powder or chipotle paste, along with the ground cumin, coriander and cinnamon. Cook for one minute, then add the oregano, tomato purée, tomatoes, black beans and vegetable stock. Increase the heat to bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer gently for 30–40 minutes, or until the liquid reduces and thickens.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, and stir in the chopped coriander.
- Serve the chilli in shallow bowls with rice (if liked), and lime wedges on the side for squeezing. Everyone can help themselves to the toppings.
OR YOU CAN TRY THIS…
– Use red kidney beans instead of black beans.
– Substitute butternut squash or sweet potato for the pumpkin.
– Serve with griddled tortillas or tortilla chips.
TIP: If you’re making this in a slow cooker, cook the onion, garlic and peppers in the oil until softened, then transfer to a slow cooker and add the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for five hours.