Cauliflower, Pomegranate and Apple Salad
Reading time 4 minutes
This salad makes a delicious mid-summer meal. The crisp apple and pomegranate seeds bring a lip-puckering tartness to the cauliflower, nuts and spices.
4 as a starter or 2 as a main course
- 1 cauliflower, trimmed and cut into florets
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 50g skin-on almonds, roughly chopped
- 2 sharp, green eating (dessert) apples, such as Granny Smith squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 pomegranate, seeds only
- 150g wild rocket leaves
- Preheat a fan oven to 160C (320F/gas 4) and line a medium baking sheet with baking parchment.
- Put the cauliflower florets, olive oil, paprika, cumin and almonds in a large bowl and mix well, making sure the cauliflower is evenly coated with the oil and spices. Tip out onto the baking sheet and roast in the oven for 25 minutes until the cauliflower has started to brown. Take out of the oven and leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, core and chop the apples into one cm chunks and add to a bowl of cold water with the lemon juice – this will prevent them from browning and keep them nice and fresh.
- Make the dressing by combining the tahini, honey, lemon juice and olive oil. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Finally, drain the apples and combine with the cauliflower mix, pomegranate seeds and rocket, then drizzle over the dressing and serve.
Apple by James Rich (Hardie Grant £20) Photography ©Jacqui Melville