Chicken Goujon Caesar Salad with Fibre Cracker Croutons
I love this if I’ve got pals round and want to make a wee alfresco dining effort without just shoving packets of goujons in the oven...
- ½ fibre crackers mixture (see below)
- 2 skinless chicken breasts
- 30g ground almonds
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 egg
- 2 romaine lettuces
- 2 handfuls of mixed leaves
- Salt and pepper
- For the dressing
- 20g Parmesan cheese
- 1 small garlic clove, grated
- 2 canned anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 4 tbsp milk kefir yogurt (homemade, or shop-bought)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Fibre Crackers
- 65g sunflower seeds
- 50g pumpkin seeds
- 35g chia seeds 35g sesame seeds
- 20g whole flaxseeds
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 180ml water
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C fan/ 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6 and line two baking trays with baking paper.
2. Begin by mixing all the ingredients for the fibre crackers together.
3. While the fibre cracker mixture is soaking, prepare the chicken goujons. Using a sharp knife, cut the chicken into strips. Mix the ground almonds and paprika in a shallow bowl and season well. In another shallow bowl, whisk the egg. Coat the chicken goujons one by one
in the beaten egg and then the almond paprika mixture. Arrange on one of the lined baking trays.
4. Once the fibre cracker mixture has thickened, spread it thinly over the second lined baking tray until it's around 5mm thick. Bake for 25 minutes, then add the tray of chicken to the oven too and bake both for a further 25 minutes, turning the chicken halfway through cooking.
5. To make the dressing, finely grate half the Parmesan and add to the milk kefir yogurt in a jug with the anchovies, garlic, lemon juice and olive oil. Stir well to combine and season to taste.
6. Shred the lettuce and add to a large mixing bowl with the mixed leaves and coat in the dressing.
7. Crumble the fibre cracker and use a peeler to cut the remaining Parmesan into shavings.
8. To serve, top the leaves with the chicken goujons, sprinkle over the crumbled fibre cracker and Parmesan shavings.
Best served immediately.
To Make Fibre Crackers:
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C fan/ 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6 and line a medium baking tray with baking paper.
2. Mix all the ingredients together and leave for 15 minutes for the chia seeds to soak up the water. Once the mixture has thickened, spread thinly over the lined baking tray until around 5mm thick. Bake for 50 minutes. If the cracker doesn’t feel crisp after 50 minutes, return to the oven for a further 5–10 minutes.
3. Remove from the oven and leave to cool before breaking into crackers.
Store in an airtight container for up to a week.