Citrus Roast Lamb
For a very fresh and refreshing flavour combination, try this roast lamb recipe
- 900g/1.5kg lamb half leg joint
- 60ml/4tbsp freshly chopped thyme leaves
- Grated zest of 2 oranges (reserve oranges) 2 lemons, sliced
- 45ml/3tbsp dry white wine
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Remove the meat from the fridge and allow it to come up to room temperature. Preheat your oven to Gas mark 4-5, 180-190°C, 350-375°F.
- Place the joint on a large chopping board. With a sharp pointed knife make several incisions evenly over the joint and season well with salt and pepper on both sides. Rub the thyme and orange zest all over the surface of the lamb and massage well into the slits.
- Slice the oranges and place in a large non-stick roasting tin with the lemon slices and put the joint on top. Open roast for the preferred, calculated cooking time (see below), basting occasionally with any meat juices. Cover with foil if the meat is browning too quickly.
- Pour the wine or white grape juice over the lamb 30 minutes before the end of the cooking time and return to the oven for the remaining cooking time.
- Allow the meat to rest in a warm place for 15 minutes before carving then serve with some vegetables such as fennel and roasted white and sweet potatoes.
Medium: 25 minutes per 450g/1lb plus 25 minutes
Well done: 30 minutes per 450g/1lb plus 30 minutes