Crispy Aromatic Duck
Reading time 1 Minute
No need to order duck pancakes from the Chinese takeaway
This easy-to-make recreation of the classic Chinese duck dish is the perfect recipe to try.
- 4 Gressingham duck legs
- Aromatic liquor
- 1 tsp star anise
- 1 tbsp Szechuan peppercorns
- 1 tsp cloves
- 6 sticks cinnamon
- 4 spring onions
- 6 tbsp Chinese rice wine (or dry sherry)
- 8 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 8 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tsp salt
- 2 pints chicken stock
- 1 large knob of fresh ginger, sliced
- To serve
- Chinese pancakes
- Spring onions, sliced into matchsticks
- Cucumber, sliced into matchsticks
- Hoi sin sauce
- Place all the ingredients for the aromatic liquor in a large pan and whisk together. Add the duck legs to the pan and place in the fridge overnight.
- When ready to cook, place the pan onto a high heat and bring to boil. Turn down the heat and let it simmer for 1 hour and 15 minutes until the meat comes easily away from the bone. At this point you can remove the legs from the liquor, cool and then place in the fridge until you are ready to finish them under the grill.
- Carefully remove the legs from the aromatic liquor and place under a hot grill until the skin goes crispy.
- Fork the meat from the bone and serve with the warm Chinese pancakes, spring onions, cucumber strips and hoi sin or plum sauce.