Double Pepperoni & Spicy Honey
A recipe from Pizza Pilgrim's book, 'Pizza: History, Recipes, Stories, People, Places, Love.'
- 1 ball of Neapolitan pizza dough
- 80g (3oz) tomato sauce
- 4–5 basil leaves
- Parmesan, for grating
- 1 tbsp good-quality olive oil
- 30g (1oz) each of 2 different types of
- sliced pepperoni
- 1 fresh chilli, sliced
- 80g (3oz) fior di latte mozzarella,
- torn or sliced
- For The spicy honey
- 40g (1½oz) fresh chilli, sliced
- 100ml (scant ½ cup/3½fl oz) honey
- First, make the spicy honey by adding the chilli to the honey and leaving it to develop (at least 12 hours, but it keeps for up to 3 weeks).
- Preheat the grill (broiler) to its absolute highest setting, and place a large, ovenproof frying pan (skillet) over a high heat and let it get screaming hot.
- Meanwhile, flatten and stretch the dough ball to make a 10-inch pizza base.
- Lay the pizza base flat in the hot, dry frying pan, then, using a small ladle (or a large spoon), spoon the tomato sauce onto the middle of the pizza. Using the back of the ladle, make concentric circles to spread the sauce, beginning in the middle and finishing 1½in from the edge. Then add the basil, a grating of Parmesan, the olive oil, pepperoni and fresh chilli.
- Once the base of the pizza has browned, about 1–2 minutes, add the mozzarella, then place the frying pan under the grill on the highest shelf.
- Once the crust has taken on some colour, about 1–2 minutes, drizzle with some spicy honey and eat.