Mushroom & Spinach En Croûte
Whether it’s on a buffet table or at a supper party, vegetarians will love this
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1⁄2 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 150g (51⁄2oz) chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 225g (8oz) baby spinach
- 125g (41⁄2oz) ricotta
- 75g (21⁄2oz) Gruyère, grated
- 1 egg yolk
- dash of Tabasco
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- a little plain flour, to dust
- 1⁄2 x 500g packet ready rolled all-butter puff pastry (freeze the other half for another occasion)
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tbsp milk
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C (200°C fan/425°F/Gas 7) and put a baking sheet in the oven to get hot. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan, add the onion, and fry for 2 minutes. Lower the heat, cover with a lid, and cook for 15 minutes or until soft.
2. Add the garlic, mushrooms, and spinach and cook over a high heat for 3 minutes or until the spinach has wilted and the mushrooms have softened. Set aside to cool.
3. Meanwhile, put the ricotta, Gruyère, egg yolk (whole egg for 12), and Tabasco into a bowl, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and mix until combined. Stir into the cold spinach mixture.
4. Lay the sheet of pastry on a lightly floured work surface and roll it out into a 28 x 33cm (11 x 13in) rectangle (33 x 38cm/13 x 15in rectangle for 12).
5. Pile the spinach mixture into the middle, leaving a 4cm (11⁄2in) gap around the edge. Brush the pastry with the egg mixture, then fold the ends over the filling and bring the sides up so they meet at the top. Crimp the ends together to seal, then brush the pastry with egg.
6. Transfer to the hot baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes (45 minutes for 12) or until golden all over. Leave to rest at room temperature for 5 minutes, then slice and serve hot.
7. In The Aga
Sit the en croûte on a cold baking sheet and bake on the floor of the roasting oven for 25–30 minutes.
The en croûte can be made up to the end of step 5 up to 8 hours ahead. Not suitable for freezing.
The new edition of Mary Berry Cooks up a Feast by Mary Berry and Lucy Young is published by DK (3 October 2019, £25). DK.com