Nasi Goreng Inspired Vegan Watercress Rice Bowl with Charred Lime
Reading time 10 minutes
For more recipe inspiration go to www.watercress.co.uk
- 240g cooked Basmati rice, cold
- 400g Firm Tofu, grated on a box grater
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced
- 6 spring onions, finely sliced
- A large handful of green beans, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 bunch radish, thinly sliced
- 200g tenderstem broccoli
- 50g watercress
- 2tbsp rapeseed oil
- ¼ tsp turmeric, ground
- 2 tbsp kecap manis or 2 tbsp soy + 1tsp coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp soy
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 1 lime
- 2 tbsp. sambal oelek/ chilli paste
- Coriander, crispy shallots and lime wedges to serve
- Begin with the lime. Cut into six wedges and heat the grill to high. Grill the wedges until charred and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large wok, fry the tofu until the moisture has evaporated and it becomes crisp. Scoop out, leaving the oil and set aside.
- Fry the spring onions for two to three minutes or until tender. Add the chili and turmeric and fry two minutes more.
- Add in the pepper, beans, radish and broccoli and cook for two minutes more.
- Now add the rice and tofu to the pan. Break up any large clumps and combine all the ingredients thoroughly. You need to make sure the rice is piping hot all the way through.
- Add the kecap manis, soy, tomato puree and the juice of two of the charred lime wedges. Stir though before adding the sambal oelek. Stir through the watercress.
- Divide the hot rice between four dishes, top with coriander, crispy shallots and extra charred limes.