Pomegranate & Sumac Chicken
Reading time 5 minutes
This is an easy chicken tray bake inspired by a meal I ate at Reem, a restaurant on the Greek island of Lesvos run by Mahmud Talli.
- For the chicken
- 8 large skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- For the marinade
- 3 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- 2 tsp pul biber (Aleppo pepper)
- 1 tsp sumac
- 2 fat garlic cloves,
- crushed salt and black pepper
- Place the chicken in a large bowl and pour all the marinade ingredients over it with 11/2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Using your hands, massage this into the chicken until it is evenly coated, then cover and transfer to the refrigerator to marinate for at least three hours.
- When you are ready to eat, take the chicken out of the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature (this will take about 20 minutes).
- Preheat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/Gas 6.
- Place the chicken in a baking tray and drizzle over the olive oil. Transfer the tray to the oven and roast for about 35 minutes, or until the juices from the chicken run clear when it is pierced at the thickest part.
Extract taken from Ripe Figs by Yasmin Khan (£26, Bloomsbury) Food photography © Matt Russell