Pot-Roasted Partridges Stuffed with Coconut Rice, Pistachios and Cranberries
- 6 tbsp any oil
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger peeled and finely chopped
- 50g ready-to-eat dried apricots, finely chopped
- 50g dried cranberries, finely chopped
- 50g dried cherries, finely chopped
- 250g microwaveable coconut rice
- 25g honey-roasted cashews, roughly chopped
- 50g pistachios, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 partridges 100ml hot chicken stock or water
- 125ml white wine
- 50g ice-cold butter, dice
Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
Heat three tablespoons of the oil in a frying pan, add all the spices and quickly fry, stirring, then add the onion, garlic and ginger and cook for 10 minutes until soft.
Spoon into a bowl, add the dried fruit, rice, nuts and parsley and mix well.Season with salt and pepper.
Stuff the birds with the mixture and tie the legs together with a piece of string. Season with salt and pepper. Heat the remaining oil in a small flameproof casserole dish, add the stuffed birds and fry for six to eight minutes or until nicely browned.
Transfer the casserole dish, without the lid, to the oven and cook for 15 minutes until the birds start to colour. Add the stock or water to the casserole dish, put the lid on and cook for a further 45–50 minutes until the birds are cooked through.
Remove the casserole dish from the oven and leave to rest for 20 minutes.
Lift the birds out carefully. Boil the juices with the white wine until reduced to about half the original volume. Remove from the heat and whisk in the cold butter to thicken slightly.
Serve the birds whole, drizzled with a spoonful of the buttery juices.
‘Game’ by Phil Vickery and Simon Boddy. Published by Kyle Book