Potatoes with Spicy Chorizo, Red Pepper and Tomato, Garnished with a Fried Egg
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil, or as needed
- 4 Medium, potatoes, or equivalent in new potatoes. Peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices. If using large potatoes cut into quarters
- 250g Spanish chorizo sausage sliced approx I/2 cm slices
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped into strips
- 3 Cloves of garlic cloves, minced
- 1tsp. Pimentón dulce, or paprika
- 1/2tsp of dried chillies
- 120ml tomato passata or chopped tomato
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 Eggs, 1 Fried Egg per person if serving in large dish, alternatively 1 quail egg for small tapas dish
- 2tbs chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1. In a large frying pan heat olive oil for minute or two Add the sliced potatoes and sauté, stirring often, until pale gold, 10 to 15 minutes. Should be soft in middle. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a dish.
2. Add the chorizo to the pan and fry on medium heat stirring and turning often, until crisp and brown, about three to four minutes, if the mixtures is a little dry add a little more oil. Using slotted spoon or tongs, transfer to a dish.
3. Add the chopped onion to the pan and sauté over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 15 mins, garlic, pimentos, dried chilli and sauté until the onion has absorbed all the spices, then add tomatoes and simmer for approximately about eight minutes.
4. Return the potato and chorizo to the pan and bring to a simmer, reduce the heat to low, cover tightly and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 10–15 minutes.
5. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a large serving dish or individual dishes.
6. Fry eggs leaving yolk runny. Serve one per person or portion.
7. Sprinkle with the parsley and serve warm.