Fridge Raid by Megan Davies (Ryland Peters & Small, £18.99 Photography by Rita Platts © Ryland Peters & Small
Roasted Marrow and Courgette Pasta
- 200 g dried pasta
- 1 onion
- 1 courgette
- 150 g pre-roasted marrow
- 1 teaspoon garlic purée, fresh garlic, or 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 100 ml whole milk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 lemon
- Grated Pecorino, to serve
- olive oil, for frying
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Fill a large saucepan with water and season very well. Bring to the boil, then add the pasta and cook according to packet instructions.
2. Add a glug of olive oil to a large, non-stick frying pan set over a medium heat. Halve, peel and thinly slice the onion and add to the pan, letting it sizzle for 15 minutes, gently frying and caramelizing. Stir often to avoid burning.
3. Meanwhile, halve the courgette (no need to trim it) and thinly slice at an angle, then roughly chop the roasted marrow.
4. When the onions have had their 15 minutes, add the courgette and fry for 3 minutes, stirring often. Next, add the marrow and garlic and fry for another 2 minutes. Add the milk and mustard to the pan and let bubble for about 3 minutes, stirring almost constantly, until you have a gloopy, lumpy, sloppy but delicious sauce in the pan. Squeeze in half the lemon juice and taste to check for seasoning. Remove the sauce from the heat if the pasta is still cooking.
5. When the pasta is ready, reserve a mug of pasta cooking water, then drain. Tip the pasta into the sauce and pour in a splash of pasta water too. Put back on the heat and bring to a gentle simmer, stir or toss to combine well. If you think it’s looking a bit dry, add a splash more pasta water. Taste to check for seasoning and add more lemon juice, salt and pepper to your taste. Pile into bowls and top with some Pecorino, then add a final drizzle of olive oil before serving.
LEFTOVERS: Make into a pasta bake. Add a little more milk to the leftovers to loosen up, then top with breadcrumbs, soft herbs and grated cheese (mix them up) and bake in a hot oven.