Slow Cooked Beef Ragu
- 700g braising steak, beef shin or any other casserole beef.
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 100g pancetta, cubed
- 1 jar of Opies Cocktail Onions rinsed and drained
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 2 celery sticks diced
- 3 garlic cloves sliced
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- 1tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tins of tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 150ml red wine
- 1tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Take the beef and cut into small pieces. You could ask your butcher to do this.
- In a large casserole pot add 1tbsp of the olive oil and cook the beef until nicely browned, remove from the pan.
- Without wiping the pan, add the last tablespoon of the olive oil and gently cook the cocktail onions, carrot, celery, and pancetta, until soft and the pancetta is starting to brown. Add the garlic, rosemary and tomato puree, and continue cooking for about 1 minute. This really helps develop the flavour.
- Add the beef back to the pan with the red wine, balsamic and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer. Add the tinned tomatoes, season with salt and milled pepper. Pop a lid on, turn the heat to as low as possible and simmer for about 1 ½ hours, stirring every so often until the beef is soft. Check the seasoning and serve with your favourite pasta, and freshly grated parmesan.
Hints and Tips
Spaghetti or Linguine works best for this, however any ridged pasta would also work well.