Spicy Chicken Rogan Josh with Tenderstem Broccoli
Ditch the takeaway this week and try this fresh chicken rogan Josh curry with Tenderstem broccoli instead
This spice-packed curry is the perfect home-cooked comfort food and it’s rich and warm flavours will soothe your soul and awaken your taste buds.
1 hour 20 minutes
- 4 tbsp groundnut oil or ghee
- 1kg chicken thighs, skin and bone removed and the meat diced
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 5cm fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 tbsp water
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 5 whole cardamom pods, bashed and outer pod removed
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp whole cumin
- 4 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 4 tbsp plain yogurt
- 5 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 200ml chicken stock
- 300g Tenderstem broccoli, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- To Serve
- 2 x 250g packs ready-to-eat pilau rice
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced, to garnish
Recipe extracted from tenderstem.co.uk
- Add half of the groundnut oil or ghee and the chicken to a high-heated frying pan and cook until the chicken is brown (although it does not need to be cooked all the way through).
- Put the garlic cloves, ginger and four tbsp of water in a blender and blitz into a smooth paste.
- Heat a large, deep pan on a medium heat and add the remaining groundnut oil or ghee and the sliced onions. Fry the onions until soft and then add the cardamom, bay leaves and cinnamon. Fry for around 30 seconds, giving it a good stir.
- Add the garlic and ginger paste and cook out the garlic for another minute. Add the rest of the spices – ground coriander, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, turmeric, garam masala - and tomato puree and cook for a minute.
- Add the browned chicken to the pan and stir well so that the sauce coats the chicken. Add the yoghurt, chopped tomatoes and chicken stock, and then stir.
- Put a lid on the pan and simmer for about 50 minutes. Take the lid off and turn up the heat if the sauce has too much liquid.
- Add the Tenderstem broccoli for the final two minutes of cooking.
Serve with pilau rice and garnish with red chilli.
Tip: You could also serve this with Naan bread, either in place of the rice, or together with it.