- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 400g leftover turkey, shredded
- 250g tortilla chips
- 200ml soured cream
- 150g Lancashire cheese, grated
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 green jalapeño chillies, finely sliced
- 1 x 400g tin of tomatillos (green tomatoes, see tip below)
- Large handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- 50-100ml chicken stock
- A shallow ovenproof dish
- Put the onion, garlic, chillies, tomatillos and coriander in a blender and whizz to a thick paste. Add enough of the stock to loosen the paste and whizz again. Season well.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the paste for five minutes or until thickened slightly. Add the shredded turkey and toss well to combine.
- Heat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Layer up the tortilla chips with the turkey mixture in cream and a scattering of grated cheese to each layer. Press down with your hands and finish with a scattering of cheese. Place in the heated oven and bake for 15–20 minutes until bubbling and the cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
Tomatillos are a type of green tomato found in Mexico. They have a unique flavour and are easy to buy online. If you can’t find them, you could drain a can of cherry tomatoes of all its juice and mix them with the juice of a lime.