Apple, Cheddar & Clove Galette
Freeform galettes are one of the easiest types of tart you can make – the dough is wonderfully forgiving
I’d venture to say that this apple and Cheddar galette is even better if you leave it in the fridge overnight once cooked, and warm it up to serve the next day. Any canines in the house will undoubtedly turn up at the scent of hot apples and melted cheese, but cloves aren’t suitable for dogs, so this is sadly not shareable.
- For the dough
- 250g spelt flour
- 175g cold cubed butter
- 50g caster sugar
- For the filling
- 3 apples, finely sliced
- 7 cloves, ground
- 40g soft dark brown sugar
- 80g sharp Cheddar, grated
- 2 sprigs of rosemary, needles chopped
- 20g butter
- 1 egg yolk
- Mix the apples, ground cloves and dark brown sugar together, and set aside. For the galette dough, blitz the spelt flour, butter and caster sugar in a food processor, then add a little cold water, a tablespoon at a time, just until everything comes together into a dough. Wrap the dough in clingfilm and transfer to the fridge to chill for 1 hour. (Alternatively, work the dry ingredients and cubed butter together with your fingertips until sandy in texture, then add the water sparingly and bring together into a dough.)
- After one hour, preheat the oven to 180C fan/200C/gas 6. Roll out the dough on a lined baking sheet to an approximately 30cm circle – don’t worry about messy edges. Scatter the grated cheese over the middle of the pastry, leaving a 5cm border all around.
- Arrange the apples over the cheese as you wish, keeping to within the 5cm border, and scatter over the rosemary. Bring the edges of the pastry up over the apples to just enclose the filling.
- Dot the apples with the butter, brush the exposed dough with the egg yolk, then transfer to the oven and bake for 30–35 minutes.
- Let the galette cool on the baking sheet for five minutes, then carefully transfer to a wire rack to cool down. If you can, let it cool completely before refrigerating and serve warm the next day; the flavour is really incredible.
Extracted from The Sweet Roasting Tin (One Tin Cakes, Cookies & Bakes) by Rukmini Iyer (Square Peg) 2 September 2021, £18.99 HB Photography by David Loftus