Bags of British style
From hand dyed and handmade locally, to some of the biggest brand names in bags
1. To celebrate its 50th birthday, classic British brand Mulberry has announced a new collaboration with Richard Malone
Barrell bag, £1,095 Mulberry x Richard Malone at mulberry.com
2. Gweniss keep the art of leather craft alive, using independent manufacturers and craftsmen across England to make unique, handmade bags, all inspired by classic British styles. Easily personalised with changeable straps each bag is made fro premium leather designed to soften and enhance with age.
Freya mini saddle bag, £85 gweniss.com
3. Handcrafted in the UK from quality leather, Yorkshire-based Glencroft’s country-inspired saddle bags come in three different sizes and in a range of traditional country colours including this super-smart tan version.
Crossbody saddle bag, £64.95 glencroftcountrywear.co.uk
4. Hyde & Hare’s British-made cowhide bags range from the perfect overnight bag to simple clutches. Our favourite is the roomy Sudeley with three internal compartments and deliberately long, ultra-useful carry handles to slip over the shoulder.
Sudeley bag, £325 hydeandhare.com
5. Sarah Hanran’s unique handbags are designed to be restyled in seconds. Pick the style you love and add your own accessories to style the bag to suit your day. The Dahlia tote, with six essential internal pockets, has a detachable strap, key chain, and a tassel, and front pocket which quickly becomes a useful clutch.
Dahlia tote, £575 sarahhanran.com
6. Leeds-base Fabrikk have a passion for timeless, functional design incorporating the latest tech materials. The vegan-friendly Vela is made from eco, weatherproof, cork tree bark materials and its internal lining material automatically switches on when the bag is opened to gives off an attractive subtle glow for assisted vision at night, so there’s no more fumbling around to find your keys in the dark.
Vela LED cork handbag, £385 fabrikk.co.uk
7. Former Mulberry Creative Director, Emma Hill now has her own brand, where she injects some subversive humour into her colourful creations to make you smile – and swoon.
Large Creature bag, £450 hillandfriends.com
8. From cutting to dying and sewing, every part of the creative process for a Tori Lo bag is handmade. Based in the North East, Tori focuses on producing high quality, handmade and unique leather goods using veg tan leather, and with every stitch perfect they make a unique present.
Lottie tassel cross body bag, £82.50 torilodesigns.co.uk