Banana Bread French Toast
- For the banana bread:
- 280g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 115g butter
- 150g brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 5 ripe mashed bananas
- For the French toast:
- 3 eggs
- 3 tbsp sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or paste
- 2 tbsp butter icing sugar, for dusting
- maple syrup, to serve
- 23 x 13-cm loaf pan, lightly greased
1. Preheat an oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Make the banana bread by combining the flour, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl. In a separate medium bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar. Stir the eggs in one at a time and add the mashed bananas until combined.
2. Add the banana mixture to the flour mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until mixed together. Pour into the prepared loaf pan. Bake in the preheated oven for one hour, or until a cocktail stick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Let it cool for five to 10 minutes, and then turn it out onto a wire rack.
3. For the French toast, beat the eggs, sweetened condensed milk and vanilla with a fork in a small– medium bowl. Set aside. Melt the butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Slice the banana bread into four thick slices. Dip each slice into the egg mixture and place into the hot frying pan. Cook on each side for one to two minutes until golden brown.
4. Plate and dust with icing sugar. Serve with a side of maple syrup.
Extracted from Lazy Day Brunches published by Ryland Peters & Small (£9.99) Photography © Ryland Peters & Small