British Asparagus and Pea Spring Minestrone Soup
Bursting with flavour and fresh veg, this green take on a classic minestrone soup is the perfect dish for spring.
- 30g butter
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium-sized fennel bulb, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 3 small carrots, trimmed, peeled and cut into rounds
- 6 spring onions, trimmed and cut into three
- 150ml dry white wine
- 500ml good vegetable stock
- 250g British asparagus tips
- 150g fresh peas (podded weight) or frozen petit pois
- 5 tbsp finely chopped mixed herbs to include mint, chives and parsley
- 100ml double cream
- A squeeze of lemon
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
Melt the oil and butter in a large pan. Add the fennel and carrots and stir over a gentle heat for about five to six minutes being careful not to burn. Add the spring onion and cook until softened.
Pour in the white wine and reduce by half. Add the vegetable stock and cook for a further five minutes on a low to moderate heat. Add the asparagus and peas and cook for a further five minutes until tender.
Stir in the herbs and cream and season well with a squeeze of lemon juice, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.