Citrus & Red Onion Salad
- 35g thinly sliced red onions
- 60ml red wine vinegar
- 3 medium or 4 small oranges (ideally a mix of blood orange, navel, and Cara Cara), peeled and cut into segments or rounds
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt, plus more for seasoning
- Dash of freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 35g chopped green olives
- 2 tbsp chopped pistachios
- ½ tbsp packed tarragon
- 230g burrata (optional)
- Crackers, for serving (optional)
In a small bowl, cover the red onions with the vinegar. Set aside to let mellow for at least 10 minutes. Strain, reserving one tablespoon of the vinegar.
Arrange the oranges in a shallow serving bowl and set aside.
In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the reserved vinegar, the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Add the green olives, pistachios, and tarragon and toss together to coat everything in the olive oil mixture.
Spread the onions over the oranges and spoon the pistachio mixture over the onions and oranges. Drizzle any remaining liquid from the pistachio mixture bowl into the serving bowl. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if needed.
If serving this salad on its own, tear and arrange the burrata over the salad and serve with crackers.
Extracted from Tables & Spreads: A Go-To Guide for Beautiful Snacks, Intimate Gatherings, and Inviting Feasts by Shelly Westerhausen Worcel (Chronicle Books, £21.99) © 2021 Shelly Westerhausen Worcel