Country Lentil Pottage
- 300g (10oz) dried red split lentils, rinsed in cold water
- 2 baking potatoes, peeled and evenly diced
- 4 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 litres (31⁄2 pints) hot vegetable stock
- generous pinch of sea salt and black pepper
1. Put the lentils, potatoes, carrots, onion and vegetable stock into a large pan. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 40–45 minutes, stirring occasionally to avoid sticking.
2. When the lentils have broken down, remove from the heat and season to taste with sea salt and black pepper.
3. This one-step soup will become a family favourite, as it is simple to make and freezes well for up to 3 months – perfect for those times when you just need a quick and easy bowl of something satisfying.
Five Ingredient Vegan by Katy Beskow (Quadrille £20) Photography ©Luke Albert