- Mornay sauce (Bechamel with gruyere added)
- 4 slices thick brioche or crusty white bread
- 2 eggs (we recommend Clarence Court)
- Dijon mustard
- 2 slices thick cut ham
- 100g Gruyere, grated
- 50g watercress, removing any thick stalks
1. Preheat the oven to 180˚C. Butter all sides of the brioche/bread. In a pan over a medium heat, fry the bread on all sides, flipping once.
2. To make your sandwich, spread a thin layer of mustard on two slices of the bread. On the other two slices, spread some mornay sauce. On top of the Mornay, layer the ham, watercress and gruyere before sandwiching with a slice of the mustard bread.
3. Warm the sandwiches in the oven so that the cheese melts. Meanwhile, fry the eggs.
4. To serve, lay a fried egg on the top of each sandwich, adding more Mornay sauce if desired.