Hummus, Courgette and Aubergine Easter Tart
Deceptively simple and visually stunning, this show-stopping tart is delicious. Serve with a salad or warm baby potatoes and just a bit more green tomato chutney on the side.
- 400g tin of chickpeas
- 1 tbsp tahini
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp Tracklements Green Tomato Chutney
- 320g ready-made shortcrust pastry
- 2 courgettes, cut into rounds 5mm thick
- 1 aubergine, cut into rounds 5mm thick
- Salt and pepper
- Parmesan, grated
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4 and put a baking tray on the middles shelf.
- Drain the chickpeas and whizz in a food processor with the tahini, oil and green tomato chutney until smooth. Taste and add more chutney if desired.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the courgettes in a single layer and season with salt and pepper. Make sure they don’t overlap. Cook for three to four minutes, then turn over and cook for a further three to four minutes. Remove from the heat and transfer to a piece of kitchen towel on a warm plate. Continue until all the courgette and aubergine is cooked and golden.
- Grease a 20cm fluted tart tin. Roll out the pastry on a floured surface to the thickness of a one pound coin and about 2cm bigger than the tin. Line the tin with the pastry pushing right into the sides and leaving the overhand for shrinkage. Chill for 15 minutes.
- Take the tart out of the fridge, line with baking parchment (scrunch it up first to make it more pliable), then fill with baking beans. Bake for 10 minutes, then remove the beans and parchment and bake for five minutes more until the pastry is golden. Allow to cool and carefully trim off any excess pastry.
- Spread the houmous evenly over the cooled crust and arrange alternate rounds of courgette and aubergine slices over the top. Sprinkle with parmesan and bake in the oven for five minutes until hot.