Italian Bean Salad
- 1 tin beans such as borlotti, butter or cannellini
- 85g watercress
- Fresh basil leaves
- 1 large carrot
- Croutons (either half bag store bought or make your own)
- Olive oil
- Sea Salt
- Cracked Black Pepper
- Grated hard cheese, like Grana Padano
If you are making your own croutons, chop some slightly stale bread into small chunks and put them on a baking tray – drizzle with olive oil and any seasoning you like. Bake in a medium oven for around 10 minutes, or until golden and crispy.
1. Drain and rinse the beans. Cut the carrot in half to make two shorter lengths, then using a vegetable peeler cut it into ribbons.
2. Roughly chop the basil leaves. Toss them with the carrot and watercress to combine.
3. Scatter the croutons on top, drizzle a everything with a good amount of olive oil, sprinkle on some grated hard cheese and plenty of salt and pepper.
Photography by Lara Jane Thorpe