Moong Bean Dal
- 250g moong beans
- 1&1/2 tsp Maldon salt
- 1tsp turmeric
- 1litre water plus 20ml extra
- For the tadka
- 4tsp ghee
- 6 spring onions, chopped with greens
- 15g ginger, peeled and grated
- 2-3 green chillies, chopped (bird’s eye or similar)
- 1 large tomatoes chopped
- 10g fresh coriander, chopped with stems
- 1tsp garam masala
- 4tsp natural yogurt
1. Soak the lentils for couple of hours or overnight. Wash and drain the water from the soaked lentils. Add the lentils to a medium-sized saucepan with the salt, turmeric and water. Cook the lentils until soft for about 40 minutes on medium heat and occasionally stir.
2. While the lentils are cooking, we make the tadka. Heat the ghee in a frying pan, once the ghee has melted, add chopped spring onions and cook for a minute. Add the grated ginger, chopped green chillies, cook for 3 minutes. Add chopped tomatoes, chopped coriander into the pan and cook for another 4 minutes. Lower heat, add yogurt, garam masala combine and add the tadka to the moong dal. Add water rest of the water to the pan, swirl and add the water to the dal.
3. Mix, cook on low heat for about 5 minutes. Leave to rest before eating with any flat bread or rice.