Orange Chocolate Chip Bread & Butter Pudding
This is based on a favourite steamed pudding – orange chocolate chip – which my mother made us as children
- 3 medium egg yolks
- 50g caster sugar
- 1 orange, zest and juice
- 300ml single cream
- 50ml milk
- 300g soft white sliced farmhouse bread, buttered
- 100g (70% cocoa solids) dark chocolate, cut into chunks
- Custard, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 150C fan/170C/gas 3. Whisk the egg yolks with the caster sugar and orange zest, then slowly whisk in the single cream, milk and orange juice. Set aside.
- Cut the buttered bread into quarters and arrange one layer in a buttered 20cm x 26cm roasting tin. Spoon over enough orange custard to coat, squashing down the bread well with a spoon, then scatter over a layer of chocolate chunks.
- Repeat, layering up the bread, chocolate chunks and custard until you’ve used up all the bread. Pour the remaining custard over the top, add a final layer of chocolate chunks, and gently squash everything down again.
- Transfer the pudding to the oven and bake for 25–30 minutes, until crisp and golden brown on top, but still soft within.
- Serve hot, with custard on the side if you wish.
FOR GLUTEN-FREE: use gluten-free sliced bread.