Pumpkin Pilaf with Almonds and Greek Yoghurt
This is quick and easy recipe is a great meal for all the family and the end result is a warm and comforting dish packed full of vitamins and goodness – plus it’s a great way to use up your left over halloween pumpkins!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp black onion seeds
- 400g basmati rice
- 400g pumpkin diced
- 800ml hot chicken stock
- Salt and pepper
- 100ml Greek yogurt
- 100g radishes sliced
- 100g roasted almonds crushed
- Small bunch mint roughly chopped
- Small bunch coriander roughly chopped
- 1 chilli chopped
- Heat the oil and butter in a large saucepan with a tight fitting lid, add the onion, garlic, cumin, fennel and black onion seeds, cook for three minutes, stirring every now and then until the onions are translucent.
- Now add the rice and cook for a further two minutes until the rice has also turned translucent, stirring the rice all the time. Add the pumpkin and stock, bring to the boil and turn down the heat to a gentle simmer.
- Season and place the lid on the pan and leave to cook without stirring for 10 minutes, or until all the stock has been absorbed, turn off the heat and leave to stand for five minutes to finish cooking.
Remove the lid and give a gentle stir. Top with a spoonful or two of Greek yogurt and scatter the sliced radishes and remaining ingredients over the top. Serve at once.