Wholegrain Mustard Easter Ham with Cauliflower Cheese
A sticky-glazed ham with rich cauliflower cheese is perfect for an indulgent Easter lunch - and hopefully there will be some left over for a supper of ham and chutney sandwiches. Serve with greens and crunchy roast potatoes to mop up the sauce.
- 2kg gammon joint
- 2 tbsp Tracklements Robust Wholegrain Mustard
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 large cauliflowers, leaves cut off, broken into pieces
- 50g butter
- 80g plain flour
- 600ml milk
- Pepper to taste
- 250g grated Cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 160C/325F/gas mark 3.
- Place the gammon (skin side up) into a large pan and cover with cold water and heat until it just starts to simmer, then remove from the heat and throw away the water.
- Put a length of foil over a roasting tin and another piece widthways to form a cross. Place the ham skin side up in the middle and wrap the foil up to create a tent around the ham which is tightly sealed but with room for air to circulate. Bake for one hour and then remove from the oven and the foil and turn the oven up to 220C/425F/gas mark 7.
- While the ham is cooking mix the mustard and brown sugar into a paste.
- Cook the cauliflower in boiling water for three to four minutes until just cooked then drain and allow to steam dry in the colander before spreading over a roasting tray.
- Next, make the cheese sauce by melting the butter in a saucepan and stirring in the flour to form a roux. Slowly pour in the milk, whisking constantly to form a smooth sauce, then season with a grind of pepper. Simmer for five minutes stirring constantly and add the cheese. Loosen with a little extra milk if needed.
- Pour the sauce over the cauliflower in the roasting tray and sprinkle with some extra cheese if desired.
- Using a sharp knife, cut away the string and skin to leave a thin, even layer of fat. Use the tip of the knife to score the ham fat into a diamond pattern.
- Brush the mustard mixture all over the ham, pressing it into the score marks in the fat. Place the ham (fat side up) in the middle of the cauliflower cheese and return to the hot oven for a further 30 minutes until the ham is golden and the cheese is bubbling. Rest for five minutes before serving.