Cream Cheese and Blueberry Toast
This creamy and fruity toast reminds us of eating cheesecake – and what better time to have it than breakfast?
EASY TIP: You’ll find many brands and flavours of vegan cream cheese in large supermarkets; for this recipe, opt for a mild cream cheese without any additional flavours.
- 150g (11⁄2 cups) blueberries
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- zest and juice of 1 unwaxed
- 4 thick slices of white
- sourdough bread
- 2 tbsp vegan mild cream cheese
1. Add the blueberries, maple syrup and cinnamon to a pan, then place over a medium heat for 4–5 minutes, stirring and breaking down the blueberries with a wooden spoon. Stir in the lemon zest and juice and cook for a further 2 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, toast the bread slices until golden and crisp, then spread generously with the vegan cream cheese.
3. Place the toasts on serving plates, then spoon over the blueberry compote. Serve hot.
Easy Vegan Bible by Katy Beskow (Quadrille, £22) Photography ©Luke Albert