Jackfruit and Black Bean Stew
Plant-lovers will love this twist on a jackfruit stew
- 40g pot Cooks&Co dried mixed forest mushrooms
- 400g can Cooks&Co green jackfruit, drained and rinsed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Pinch chilli flakes
- Few fresh thyme stalks, leaves only
- 1 small pumpkin, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces or use 1 medium sized butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 400ml coconut milk
- 400g Cooks&Co can black eye beans, drained
- 500ml hot vegetable stock
- Large handful of fresh coriander leaves
Add the mushrooms to a bowl, pour over hot water and leave to soak for 30 mins. Drain and set aside. Pull the jackfruit pieces apart, and gently shred. Preheat the oven to gas 5/190C/180C fan.
Heat the oil in a large oven proof casserole pot, add the onion, season well and cook for two to three minutes until soft then stir in the garlic, chilli and spices and cook for a further couple of minutes.
Stir through the jack fruit, thyme leaves and pumpkin or squash and turn to coat then tip in tomatoes and coconut milk, stir then add the black eye beans and pour in the stock.
Bring to the boil then put the lid on and put in the oven for about 45 minutes to an hour, keeping an eye on the liquid, if it is starting to dry out at all, top up with a little hot water. Taste and season some more if needed then scatter with the coriander leaves to serve.