Tomato and Veggie Sausage Casserole
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 vegetarian sausages
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 red sweet pointed pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 heaped tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 400g tin cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 400g Isle of Wight cherry vine tomatoes, halved
- 700ml/1¼ pints vegetable stock (from a stock cube is fine)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh thyme or parsley, to garnish
- Mashed potato, to serve
Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole dish and fry the sausages for a few minutes until lightly browned. Remove from the casserole dish with a slotted spoon and set to one side.
Add the onion to the casserole dish and fry for about five minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and fry for one minute.
Stir in the red pepper, smoked paprika, thyme and bay leaves, then add the cannellini beans, tomatoes, stock and a generous pinch of salt and stir through.
Return the sausages to the pan, put the lid on, then simmer gently on the hob for 18–20 minutes.
Season generously with black pepper, garnish with the parsley or thyme and serve with creamy mashed potato.