Watermelon Greek Salad
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ Waitrose & Partners Watermelon
- 1 cucumber
- 20 pitted Kalamata olives, torn in half
- 100g feta, crumbled
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tsp red wine vinegar
- 5 mint leaves, finely shredded
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
1. Put the sliced onion in a bowl of cold water and leave to soak while you prepare the remaining ingredients. Carve the watermelon lengthways into three wedges, then cut away the skin and slice into 1½cm-thick pieces. Halve the cucumber lengthways and scoop out the seeds with a teaspoon, then slice into half-moons about ½cm thick.
2. Arrange the watermelon and cucumber on 4 plates, then scatter over the olives and feta. Drain the onion and add to the salad. Drizzle each plate with 1 tbsp oil and 1 tsp vinegar; season. Serve immediately, sprinkled with the mint and oregano.
Soaking raw onion in cold water helps to tone down its pungency before it is added to a salad.
Recipe courtesy of Waitrose – thousands of recipes can be found at www.waitrose.com/recipes