What To Expect From this Year’s York Ice Trail
Walk through history and step into the future on A Journey Through Time at York Ice Trail as it returns for 2023
The grounds of Middletons Hotel will be transformed into a world of mythology, including four show-stopping ice sculptures and plenty of photo opportunities. York Gin, City Cruises and The Potions Cauldron will be on-site, with crafts, competitions and surprise creatures.
The National Railway Museum will be celebrating the centenary of the Flying Scotsman with an interactive sculpture, the Grand Opera House will celebrate 121 years of making magic and LNER will mark their 100-year milestone.
There’ll be live ice carving across the weekend at St Sampson’s Square with Icebox, and there’s also a chance to win some cash with YorkMix’s Casha-Saurus T-Rex, who can be found on Parliament Street.
‘It’s a great excuse to get outdoors at this time of year, and you’ll pass some of the city’s most famous sights along the way,’ says Sarah Loftus, managing director at Make It York, organisers of York Ice Trail. ‘York Ice Trail is a free event. We know pockets are tight at the moment, so it’s really important for us to keep putting on free family-friendly events for residents and visitors to enjoy.
‘This year’s theme is A Journey Through Time and our partners have really pulled out all the stops! The grounds of Middletons Hotel will be transformed into a mystical world of mythology, including four show-stopping ice sculptures and plenty of photo opportunities throughout the day.
‘The Busloads to Love sculpture, by main sponsor York Park & Ride, gives you the chance to be the driver and get a selfie. Transport into another space and dimension with Hiscox’s adventure-bound sit-on space shuttle or go back to the future with Ate O’Clock’s DeLorean inspired ‘ATEY ATE Miles Per Hour’ sculpture.’
There will be 36 spectacular ice sculptures to find across York city centre.
- A Journey Through Time, Parliament Street – Provided by Make It York
- Growing The Future, Parliament Street – Provided by Dalby Forest
- Cash-asaurus T-Rex, Parliament Street – Provided by YorkMix Radio
- York to London Skyline, Parliament Street – Provided by Grand Central
- ATEY ATE Miles Per Hour, High Ousegate – Provided by Ate O’Clock
- 121 years of making magic, Spurriergate - Provided by Grand Opera House York
- Every Moment Matters, North Street – Provided by Park Inn
- Where ever I lay my hat, Station Rise – Provided by The Grand, York
- 100 years of LNER, Station Road – Provided by LNER
- York Quest App: The Roman, Micklegate – Provided by York BID
- The Enchanted Unicorn, Middletons – Provided by Hole In Wand
- Ginny the Dragon, Middletons – Provided by York Gin
- 20,000 Leagues Under the Ouse, Middletons - Provided by City Cruises
- The Monstrous Chimera, Middletons – Provided by Middletons
- York Quest App: The Butcher, Kings Staith – Provided by York BID
- Coppergate Viking, Coppergate Centre – Provided by Coppergate Centre
- E.T. COMES HOME, Piccadilly – Provided by Spark: York
- York Quest App: Dick Turpin, Walmgate - Provided by York BID
- Adventure Is Out There, The Stonebow – Provided by Hiscox
- York’s Chocolate Story Clock, Kings Square – Provided by York’s Chocolate Story
- Erupted Volcano, Grape Lane – Provided by Lucia Bar
- The York Rose Diamond by Kay Bradley, Low Petergate – Provided by Bradley’s Jewellers, York
- Minus 200 Degrees Coffee, Low Petergate – Provided by 200 Degrees Coffee
- York Quest App: Anne Lister, Goodramgate - Provided by York BID
- Gothic Grotesque, Minster Piazza – Provided by York Minster
- Celebrating 100 years of Flying Scotsman, High Petergate – Provided by National Railway Museum
- York Quest App: Guy Fawkes, Gillygate - Provided by York BID
- The Pearly Cow, Clifton – Provided by No.1 Guesthouse
- Layers of Time, Exhibition Sq - St Leonard's Place – Provided by North York Moors National Park
- York Quest App: Wally Herbert, Museum Street – Provided by York BID
- Ryedale Roman Hoard, Museum Gardens – Provided by Yorkshire Museums Trust
- Greek Minotaur, Lendal – Provided by The Judge’s Lodging
- Busloads to love! St Helen’s Square – Provided by York Park & Ride
- The Bettys Express Train, Davygate – Provided by Bettys
- Fire Breathing Dinosaur, St Sampson's Square – Provided by Cut and Craft
- Live Carving, St Sampson's Square – Provided by York Ice Trail